It is tempting to go and buy lots of equipment before you launch an online service, or move from online only to a hybrid service where you stream live from church. It can be cost prohibitive, completely confusing or lead to purchasing overly expensive equipment that ends up being underused.
The Diocese of Guildford is full of a variety of churches, all thinking about how they best might serve their community.
On 17 July we took a straw poll to get a snapshot of where churches are at in terms of equipment for livestreaming:
• 12 are currently using a smart phone to stream their services
• 11 are looking to build a team dedicated to this work
• 8 are currently using a camera
• 8 are currently using an independent mic
• 3 are thinking of buying a mic or audio kit
• 2 currently have a team
and 1 is thinking of buying a camera
We have pulled all this into a document to provide some information on what options and providers are available to help you.. Thank you to those on the Transforming Church Facebook group who shared what equipment they are using and to the Archdiocese of Birmingham for the wealth of information on live streaming.